Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Leviticus App?!

In the "This is so wrong" department, I was just shown this -

A company called "G-dcast" has come out with an app called "Leviticus!"



Here's the description, from this site, where the app is available for downloading:

Sharpen your knife and your priestly reflexes: are you ready for the Ultimate Rule Book? Leviticus!

Play the role of a busy priest working to keep God happy by sacrificing choice offerings of sheep, goats, and bulls with frantic speed and slicing precision. Combo your actions and the rewards get BIBLICAL!

Three sacrificial services a day, seven days a week. Can YOU make it to Shabbat? Download Leviticus! and start swiping to find out!

Leviticus! features global leaderboards, long term achievements, and high score announcements designed especially for Facebook bragging. Cool in-app purchases coming soon!

So many sacrifices, so little time!

So wrong...

7 comments:

  1. I was going to say maybe it could be used as an educational tool, but performing sacrifices for ma'ariv shows someone hasn't done their research properly.

    If it's popular, the sequel will let you diagnose tzara'at on people, buildings and clothes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it actually was intended as an educational tool, though not in a particularly serious way (and it originally going to have a tumah meter, too).

      Delete
  2. Apparently it's a ripoff of Fruit Ninja, just with sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with the esteemed R'H. I specifically promoted this to my kids. My kids play video games on their mother's or older sibling's ipod. Ideally, I'd like them not to, but one has to pick his battles. Once they are playing a video game, I'd rather have them playing Leviticus than not. I don't think it's good as a learning tool --I was very disappointed about the lack of accuracy/depth of the content (one only needs to learn chumash and Rashi to do it better, but maybe a new version will get it better in this regard). What is positive about this from my point of view is it puts their attention on korbanot when it would otherwise be on catapulting birds or whatever. I believe that in this day and age where at least in my community children have a LOT competing for their attention, 'back doors' to let Torah concepts into their consciousness are positive and maybe even necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shmuel-
    Feel free to disagree; it sounds like you have seen it, which is more than I can say for myself. I just feel like korbanos are a difficult concept to grasp, from a philosophical perspective, and this seems to treat them in a very glib way that could be a turn-off to someone who is troubled by them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im only 17 but this is similair to what i plan on doing with my life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moshe-
      Making video games about Torah concepts? Or serving as a kohen in the Beis haMikdash? Or both?

      Delete