Sunday, October 25, 2009

I love this job

[This week's Haveil Havalim is here!]

It took me a little while (see here, here and here, for example), but I’m really starting to enjoy my position with the new YU/Torah miTzion Beit Midrash (aka “YU Kollel”) in Toronto.

Leaving the rabbinate is still difficult, but as I write this on the eve of our official “Launch,” and after a Shabbaton with our chevra in Thornhill, I can really say that this is turning out to be both challenging and fun.

Among the highlights:

• The great opportunities to work creatively with community institutions, ranging from the shuls to UJA to JCCs to schools to youth organizations;

• The tremendous chance to do this with my brilliant and energetic co-conspirator, Rabbi Azarya Berzon, our scholar-in-residence;

• The chance to work with four incredible avrechim and our Executive Director, each a unique mind, each talented in a unique way, and yet forming a positive, cohesive group;

• The opportunity to invent new ways to help these fantastic four avrechim develop. We are already doing some remarkable things in this area, such as our "Toronto Torah" עלון and a “You Make the Shiur” project I hope to discuss on this blog soon;

• The ability to spend much of my time in learning and shiur-development;

• The opportunity to work with great shul rabbonim across the spectrum;

• The chance to offer all sorts of shiurim, from minchas chinuch to Tanach to creative Jewish writing, in diverse venues;

• The opportunity to do all of this in Toronto, a cosmopolitan community with some 180,000 Jews of various stripes and flavors, an audience that demands creativity and offers me a great stage on which to try new approaches.

…Not to mention, I get to do all of this while living through Thursdays without the megastress I formerly faced, and I get to be with my children for so much more of Shabbos.

Pretty soon, our new website will be ready is now ready; you can preview it here. I hope you’ll let me know how we could improve it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad! May your job and life continue to be fulfilling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad, but how's the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see that you're not only settling in but beginning to see the plusses in your new position. It's like driving a car--what you see in the rearview mirror is important but the most important thing is what you see out of the window in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jendeis-
    Thanks!

    Batya-
    Cold and getting colder...

    ProfK-
    Good advice, certainly. Especially important with all of the creative drivers here, too.

    ReplyDelete