Sunday, July 4, 2010

Haveil Havalim #274 - The Experimental Edition



Welcome to Haveil Havalim #274 - the Experimental Edition!

First, the boilerplate:
Founded by Soccer Dad, Haveil Havalim is a carnival of Jewish blogs -- a weekly collection of Jewish and Israeli blog highlights, tidbits and points of interest collected from blogs all around the world. It's hosted by different bloggers each week and coordinated by the formidable Jack.

So what's the Experiment?

Usually, we divide up Haveil Havalim categories based on the subjects of the posts – Israel, Personal, Torah, Humor, and so on. This time around, though, I thought I might do it a bit differently; I tried to categorize posts based on the way the blogger’s voice came across to me.

We have close to 70 links here, about two-thirds of which came by submission; this edition took considerable work, so I hope I haven't botched it completely with my experiment.

And on that upbeat note: Onward!

Comedians

Benji Lovitt offers the experiences of an American in Israel watching a European game in Show Saturday Night and More World Cup.

Jack offers Don’t Mess with the Uni-Blogger. He may not have intended it as comedy, but I’m laughing…

And A Time of the Signs found a great bargain on chicken tights for only 100 shekel!


Teachers

Joshua Waxman walks us through a fascinating interplay of apparently conflicting midrashim in Was Pinchas descended from Yisro or Yosef?

Therapydoc counsels with great insight on fitting in with a demanding set of in-laws.

What should be in a yeshiva curriculum? Rabbi Yehoishophot Oliver presents the views of a Lubavitcher Rebbe in Vital skills and knowledge for Yeshivah students.

Financial Advice for Newlyweds is available from the expert at Orthonomics.

Homeshuling talks about the value of engaging children through involvement in key Jewish celebrations in Experiential Jewish Education. With cake.

Rabbi Yehoishophot Oliver discusses the greatness of the Alter Rebbe's mother.

Conversations in Klal presents thoughts on the use of social labels in looking at the Klal.

The Curious Jew offers material from Rav Yaakov Weinberg on the Rambam’s Eighth Principle of Faith.


Linkers

Leora offers a beautiful edition of JPIX Spring 2010!

Jacob Richman offers resources related to the Three Weeks with Online Educational Resources about the 3 weeks and Tisha B'Av.

R’ Gil Student links to an essay on the position of Rav Soloveichik regarding Women Rabbis.

Jack gives us a link to Elena Kagan’s answer to the question of where she was on December 25th.

Joel Katz offers a potpourri of Israel- and Judaism-related news articles.

Life in Israel notes the restoration of Lebanon’s only synagogue.


Chefs and Foodies

My brother rates Coors Light in his weekly Kosher Beer review. I’m pretty sure it was a thumbs-down, although he worded it pretty gently.

Jameel advertises a waffle breakthrough at Will the Muqata ever be the same?

Mirjam Weiss offers a shoo-in candidate for the Kosher Cooking Carnival, with lifelong friendships and good food in Lambs to the Daughter, and then she follows up with Shmaltz ? The Sequel.

alto artist presents 928. Chocolate on her momentous childhood discovery that food allergies can change, and contrasts this with the theoretical immutability of religious conviction.

Harry talks Israeli fashion, and food, in Marzipan Hats.


Observers
Jack offers us Reality, and I can only smile and think, “Been there, done that….”

Hadassah discusses the demands she makes of her children when they are Dressing for shul [bringing to mind my own Synagogue Dress Codes post from two summers back].

Mrs. S. describes the remarkable success of R’ Moshe Abu Aziz in A hero of Biblical proportions, and rutimizrachi offers a video of a young Israeli singer in "Only Israel" [note: kol isha], while Jameel presents the first religious female Israeli Air Force cadet.

Yoav B offers a soldier’s view of IDF-related film in Recommended IDF films from all times.

Minnesota Mamaleh celebrates her eighth anniversary with Eight Going on Nine.

I could have just as easily put this one in Teachers: Israeli Soldier’s Mother talks about Gilad Shalit and her reaction to her son’s army experiences, in Do you know how close I was to Lebanon?.

Frume Sarah talks about not making Newsweek’s Top 50 Influential Rabbis in America list. Neither did I – but then, I’m in Canada.

Elianah-Sharon presents a tear-jerker of a memorial post with Today I wore pink.

With a light-hearted post, Rickismom presents The Drink.

Ilana-Davita offers a thought-provoking Weekly Interview: William Kolbrener.

Harry talks about a new Israeli law prohibiting use of underweight models in Israeli models can pack it on.


Editorialists

Harry leads us off with the Free Gilad march, in Four years in a Hamas jail.

And on to Emmanuel, where Ben-Yehudah presents cogent thoughts in his Response To Stern's Arabs YES! Zionists NO!, and My Obiter Dicta sees blame all around in Emanuel Redux.

Jewlicious, unlike Professor Sagi, is glad to see the Education Ministry mandate knowledge of Judaism in the national curriculum, in Fear Not: The Torah Won’t Kill You Unless Someone Beats You With It.

Mother in Israel goes to town on a new study linking breastfeeding and dairy allergies.

Yisrael Medad notes the subtle and un-subtle tricks of anti-Israel journalism in UK Telegraph Tries its Hand At Anti-Israel Fauxtography.

Susan Barnes asks why Jews do not travel the newly excavated tunnels running north from the Western Wall, in Mah Zeh Achim?

Daniel Ben-Shmuel presents The Mixed Multitude Strikes Again!.

Independent Patriot presents Social Justice, Autism, Society and Acceptance: With a Little Politics Thrown In- OK Alot of Politics.


Creative Writing
Rachel Barenblat offers a beautiful and thought-provoking poem on motherhood, Creation and much more in Another mother psalm: song for the sixth day.

Jack offers up This Time, an installment in his Fragments of Fiction series.

I saw a woman on the roof of a parking garage, and was moved to wonder what was behind the scene.


Proliferants
Batya - Another: G-d's In Charge, Siyata d'Shamya, Story, Bad Definition and Translation Fouls Things Up, Does It Pay (Or Is It Safe) To Help Israel?, "Paying The Price", Life Isn't Fair, and There Are Things That Can't Be Equally Divided.

Lady-Light presents Nablopomo for July: Somebody SAVE Me... , I'm a Savta! (Again!), A Beautiful Name for a Beautiful Soul and The Emperor Has No Clothes: Hareidim Exposed.


The Orthoprax Rabbi

And one more category, for those who made it to the end: This past week, The Orthoprax Rabbi burst on the scene, partly boasting about leading an Orthodox synagogue without practicing Judaism and partly pleading for people’s sympathy. Response came quickly from various blogosphere voices, including:
Kvetching Editor,
Emes ve’Emunah,
AddeRabbi,
Daniel Saunders,
Fink or Swim,
and, of course, Yours Truly.

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of Haveil Havalim using the carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on the
blog carnival index page.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for the hard work and the link to my blog. I lke the title of this edition. Will add a link to it sometime during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks so much for including my link! I'm completely honored.
    And I really like how your experiment turned out! Way to go on all counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the hard work! I especially appreciate the effort you put into your experiment, because you clearly took time with each post. (Not to mention your patience with late entries...) Kol hakavod, Rabbi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It pays to be proliferant. But not profligate. The one out of four I submitted that was included was a referral rather than an original. Oh, well.

    Wait til next week.

    Thanks for the experiment. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All-
    Thanks! It was a lot of work, glad you liked it.

    Yisrael-
    I didn't omit anything from you (or most others; the only ones I censored out were the ones for Christian education websites). I checked my Spam folder for submissions as well; yours were not there. Did you receive BlogCarnival acknowledgment of your submissions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done, you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I like the categories. Fun. Thanks for the link, and Shavua Tov.

    ReplyDelete
  8. יישר כוחך on a wonderful job! Thanks for the link and for all your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link, and I liked the new categories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link, especially as I did not think to request it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your work on HH!
    I really like the 'experiment'. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for the clever and thoughtful job! well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing מלאכת מחשבת and the jbloggers really owe you one! You have now set the bar higher for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On Time of the Signs, not only chicken tights, but did you notice you can get a kit in a can to make a star? (star kits).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the experiment. I found the categories you picked to be quite helpful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting all my links; I thought you would only choose the ones you like the best, and discard the rest (gee, am I a poet?)

    I am totally honored--b'todah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um, gee, thanks for deleting my last comment. Sheesh.

    What I think I said on kmy comment which you deleted was, that I hadn't expected you to post all my links; just expected you to choose the ones you liked best.

    Are you going to delete this one too? (I'm in an ornery mood this a.m.)
    Oh, btw--thank you for all the links!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lady Light -
    Actually, looks like it re-emerged. Weird. I know I didn't delete it.

    To address the matter of including all submissions: I don't want to be a censor, both for reasons of time and taste, so I tend to include all submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reb Husband, just disregard (or, I give you permission to delete!) my 2nd comment.
    And thank you again for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the inclusion. Great job with this. Experiment success!

    ReplyDelete