Saturday, November 13, 2010

Haveil Havalim #291 - The Tribute to Stephen Harper Edition

It’s hard for me to believe this is my sixth Haveil Havalim, but here it is! The Stephen Harper Tribute Edition, Haveil Havalim #291.

First, the boilerplate:
Founded by Soccer Dad, Haveil Havalim is a carnival of Jewish blogs -- a weekly collection of Jewish and Israeli blog highlights, tidbits and points of interest collected from blogs all around the world. It's hosted by different bloggers each week and coordinated by the formidable Jack.


Now: Why is this a tribute to Stephen Harper? And who is Stephen Harper, anyway?

Stephen Harper is the prime minister of Canada. I don’t blame you for asking, though; when I moved to Canada I barely knew this country had a prime minister at all, and I couldn’t have told you his name for all the loonies in the world. But there it is – Stephen Harper is the head of Canada’s Conservative Party, and he runs the government, and here’s why I am paying tribute to him:

Stephen Harper defends Israel, on November 8:


In a country with a large and vocal anti-Israel lobby, Harper has nothing to gain from this stance. And as he said in the speech above, he has the bruises to show for his history of support of Israel in the UN; as Israel Matzav wrote last month, Canada lost its shot at a UN Security Council seat because of its support for Israel. So I salute this man for his courage.

I’m glad to note that Harper’s speech did not go unnoticed in the Jblogosphere; here are a few of those who blogged it:
Ruti Mizrachi
We are for Israel
Jewish Internet Defense Force
Israel Matzav
The Jerusalem Connection Report


Thank you, Prime Minister Harper!

And now, on to the week’s posts:

Israel
Three years into aliyah, rutimizrachi presents Three-Year Mizrachi Report.

I think Protektzia may have been the first Israeli word I ever learned; if it wasn’t, it should have been. Mrs. S. presents Protektzia at its very best .

Some don’t need Protektzia, just the encouragement not to back down. See A Living Nadneyda’s post, Don’t worry, the blogosphere is behind you.

Wow – Israel’s post office launches a tax for package recipients! New heights/lows in chutzpah there. Check out Stop mailing us stuff before January, at the Muqata.

This was a fascinating read: Cosmic X presents The Awesome Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu Interview - in English!.

For a bit of Israeli fashion, Harry presents A Green Fashion Event Green Inspired by the Sea of Galilee.

Cats in Jerusalem? Really?! (Heh.) Harry presents Mewling visitors.

I stopped reading Debka years ago; they remind me of the Jewish Press of my youth, the headlines of which declared imminent war with Syria every week, non-stop, for a decade or so. SnoopyTheGoon presents Oy vey, Debka... and a missile fired from an American warship.

Oy. SnoopyTheGoon presents The village of Ghajar: torn apart by politics and apathy.

Yisrael Medad has photos from his diplomatic meeting in A Bit of Diplomacy.

Cosmic X presents Mazal Tov! Margalit Har-Shefi Engaged.

Joel Katz presents links to many articles in Religion and State in Israel - November 8, 2010 (Section 1) and Religion and State in Israel - November 8, 2010 (Section 2).


Travel
Maya talks about her first post-aliyah trip to the US in On going home again....

Jameel does India and airline food (a bad mix, apparently) in Rant of the Day. I think he should invest in chocolate bars. Lots of them.

How about a little bit of Europe? Ilana-Davita presents 10 Things I Love About Antwerp.

Going somewhere by sea? Life in Israel answers one of your biggest questions: Does a yacht need a mezuzah?

This one includes a piece about non-travel: Marilyn Stowe talks about Israeli leaders who cannot visit the UK in Faith, the law and freedom of speech.

Risa travelled to Tel Shilo, and she writes about it in Protection on the ground and in our hearts.

Running a marathon doesn’t really count as travel, but I liked this category for my brother’s Of Marathons, Missions and Meanings.

And one of my favorite bloggers, the inestimable Jack, returned from a road trip in The Road Warrior Returns.


Off-beat
Nils J. Sandback offers Piano Humour: A Victor Borge Tribute.

Yisrael Medad presents I Can Finally Fit Pamela Anderson Into My Blog. I'm happy for you, Yisrael.


Food!

Risa presents KCC #60 Kislev Cooking Carnival.

Chavi talks about how she is dealing with a challenge in the conversion process in What to Do When You're Craving Treif.

Ilana-Davita talked about Belgium above; well, my brother reviewed a beer called New Belgium Skinny Dip at his Kosher Beers blog. Apparently it’s lime-flavored; I wonder who came up with that idea…?

I am an olive-lover, so I appreciated Harry’s Foto Friday – Olives take center stage.

Got Elk? Take a look at Tzvee’s post, Is Elk Meat Kosher? to find out where you can get it.


Judaism
I loved this idea: The 5-Second Rule, at Modern Uberdox.

Beit din requirements are front-and-center in Converts & Fear: Is a Beit Din on Halachic Thin Ice?.

Susan Barnes talks about her first taharah at She is Pure. I love the nail polish remover line.

To shake or not to shake? Cosmic X presents The Old "Shaking Hands With a Woman" Controversy.

Judaism ought to be flexible for Uncle Hymie’s sake, don’tcha think? Frume Sarah presents The Inconvenient Truth. Been there, done that (although not with a bris, that I can recall)…

Hebrew lessons here: Jacob Richman presents Uploaded New Learn Hebrew Video - Handheld Items.


The Jewish Community
ProfK has a plan for re-structuring tzedakah organizations at One solution to the tzedakah problem.

Want to know about Jewish Homeschooling? Jennifer in MamaLand presents Jewish Homeschooling Blog Carnival #2: Kislev 1, 5771.

I posted a piece on the most senior members of minyanim around the world: 139.

A Mother in Israel has a long-running series on Marriage in Israel today; her latest installment is Fearful Parents Promoting Young Marriage.


Chanukah
Jacob Richman offers Chanukah Educational Resources and 175 Chanukah Videos.

phyllis anticipates Chanukah’s light in winter’s darkness, at Rosh Chodesh Kislev.


Personal
Rabbi Yitzchak Schwartz, a friend and colleague, passed away this week; Yisrael posts about it here.

sheva offers pictures and gratitude to HaShem in Birthdays and little miracles.

Galit Breen (Minnesota Mamaleh) also has pictures, along with a contest, in Minnesota Mamaleh: Family Pictures.

Denise L. Eger sends a message of hope in Here is my It Gets Better video.


Ummm…
Rabbi Michael Lemming presents Reflections On T'shuvah and True, I Am Religious, But.....


Batya
Batya presents New Blood in Moetzet YESHA (Council)?.

Batya presents "Hear, Hear" for Hair-Covering.

Batya presents Nu, For This I Made Aliyah.

Batya presents Celebrating Rosh Chodesh Kislev at Tel Shiloh.

Batya presents Women's Hair Covering, Lots to Say.

Batya presents Tzachi Hanegbi, What Happened?.

Batya presents Reminds Me of My Youth.

Batya presents Beautiful Music for A Package From Home.

And that concludes this week’s edition of Haveil Havalim. I hope that you enjoy reading these posts as much as I did!

Next week will be hosted by To Kiss a Mezuzah. You may do so by using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

15 comments:

  1. Very nicely done! Thanks for including my post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boker tov proud Canadians! Thanks for the links and yasher koach on the impressive HH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!

    And, of course, thanks for inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely edition of HH, Rabbi. I appreciate that you make your own categories.

    Thank you for dedicating this issue to PM Stephen Harper. Though I am not a Canadian, I swelled with pride and tears listening to a world leader who actually speaks courageous, unvarnished truth. The last time I was so moved was when Kevin Kline played "Dave." It's nice there can exist a real Head of State who can so authentically stir the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a good HH.

    And I am happy that you are happy for me.

    However, my third post submission that got dropped was my most improtant as it mentions the very untimley passing of educator Rabbi Yitzchak Schwartz o"h.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for putting this edition together and for mentioning my post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "Batya" section is making me laugh! Thanks for hosting.

    FYI, Robin's JPiX is now up:
    She can't believe it's nearly Hannukah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone - Thank you very much!

    Yisrael - I never received that link; I didn't reject any submissions. I certainly wouldn't have rejected that one; I worked with Rabbi Schwartz for four years in Allentown, and he was a good friend. I will add the link.
    In the future, you might check for the auto-reply from Blog Carnival that indicates a link has been successfully submitted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful job!
    Thanks for the link, and shavua tov!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine job and thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you again for all of your help- it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you liked the nail polish comment. You have to have at least a tiny bit of humor about these things to get through the heaviness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete